What is Immersive Safety Training and is it Effective?
What is Immersive Training?
Immersive training refers to a training approach that aims to create a highly immersive and realistic learning experience for individuals. It involves using advanced technologies, such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and gamified content, to simulate environments and scenarios that closely resemble real-world situations.
The goal of immersive training is to provide trainees with a sense of presence and engagement, where they feel fully immersed in the learning environment and can interact with it as if it were real. This is typically achieved through the use of head-mounted displays, motion tracking sensors, haptic feedback devices, and other sensory inputs.
Here are some key characteristics and benefits of immersive training:
- Realistic simulations: Immersive training creates virtual or augmented environments that closely replicate real-world scenarios. Trainees can experience and interact with lifelike simulations, allowing them to develop skills and knowledge in a contextually relevant setting.
- Enhanced engagement and retention: The immersive nature of the training captivates trainees’ attention and fosters a deeper level of engagement. This heightened engagement can lead to improved information retention and transfer of learning to real-world situations.
- Safe and controlled learning environment: Immersive training provides a safe and controlled space for trainees to practice skills or procedures that may involve risks or hazards in the real world. It allows individuals to make mistakes, learn from them, and refine their abilities without negative consequences.
- Interactive and hands-on learning: Immersive training often involves active participation, requiring trainees to perform tasks, make decisions, and solve problems within the simulated environment. This hands-on approach promotes experiential learning and skill development.
- Personalization and adaptability: Immersive training can be tailored to individual trainees’ needs, allowing for customized instruction and adaptive learning experiences. It can adjust the difficulty level, pace, and content to match the learner’s skill level and learning objectives.
- Cost and resource efficiency: Immersive training can reduce the need for physical equipment, materials, and dedicated training spaces. It can also eliminate travel costs associated with in-person training sessions by enabling remote training and collaboration.
Immersive training is employed in various fields, including construction, manufacturing, general industry, and more. It can be utilized for skill acquisition, procedural training, team-based exercises, and complex problem-solving scenarios.
Is Immersive Training Effective?
While the effectiveness of immersive training has been demonstrated in multiple studies and practical applications, it’s important to note that the success of the training depends on various factors, including the quality of the simulations, instructional design, and the alignment of the training objectives with the technology’s capabilities. It’s crucial to design and implement immersive training programs thoughtfully and ensure proper evaluation and assessment of the outcomes. That said, here are some interesting statistics on immersive training incorporating VR technology and gamified simulations.
Adoption and Usage:
- In a survey conducted by ABI Research, 82% of the respondents believed that VR training significantly improved learning outcomes.
- Walmart reported that VR training helped improve employee performance by 30% and increased retention of training material.
- According to PwC’s report, 79% of companies implementing immersive training experienced a positive return on investment.
Benefits and Effectiveness:
- Studies have shown that immersive training can lead to better learning outcomes, with trainees retaining information and skills more effectively compared to traditional training methods.
- A study conducted by the National Training Laboratory found that VR simulations resulted in a 75% retention rate compared to 10% retention through reading or lectures.
- Immersive training has been found to enhance engagement, motivation, and knowledge transfer due to its immersive and interactive nature.
- VR training has been widely adopted in industries such as healthcare, aviation, military and defense, manufacturing, construction, and general industry, among others.
- Safety professionals have used VR training for hazard id, situational awareness, and onboarding education.
- Aviation organizations have utilized VR for pilot training, emergency procedures, and maintenance simulations.
- The military has employed VR training for combat scenarios, vehicle simulations, and battlefield medical training.
What are some other benefits of immersive training?
Immersive training is a new and effective approach to providing safety training programs at scale. It allows employers to improve safety outcomes, increase preparedness, and boost employee performance while also significantly reducing costs.
- Immersive technologies like virtual reality (VR) enable a fundamentally better way to properly prepare employees to excel at their roles while keeping them safe.
- Since the pandemic, immersive training (primarily using AR/VR headsets) has become the killer app for worker safety training because it eliminates real-world risk by enabling frontline workers to complete virtual tasks and operate virtual equipment in a simulated, highly realistic environment.
- Immersive training is a type of learning that involves deep absorption or immersion in an interactive environment, either physical or virtual, that simulates real-world scenarios, teaching practical skills, and techniques.
- It is based on the experiential learning model, where most of the learning comes from active and experiential learning, and it aims to bring about a change in behavior as it accelerates employees’ proficiency in their roles through an immersive training environment.
- It combines the sense of presence of VR with advanced learning theory, data science, and spatial design to improve effectiveness and user engagement
By leveraging the power of technology and creating realistic virtual or augmented environments, immersive training offers a compelling approach to learning and skill development, empowering individuals to acquire knowledge and expertise in a highly engaging and effective manner.